21 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse

Jesse

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Want to save a bit of cash and thin regular plasti dip yourself? Here's how:

1. Buy regular plasti dip from your favorite location or www.awarehousefull.com (where I get mine)
2. Depending on the number of gallons of plasti dip you bought, buy the same amount (in gallons) of thinner at your local home depot, lowes, or other hardware store. The recommended thinners are Xylene, Toulene, and Naphtha. I personally have only tried xylene from home depot.
3. If you want to thin 1 gallon, pour the gallon of plasti dip into a bucket, then pour a gallon of thinner into the bucket and mix it up (you will now have 2 sprayable gallons of plasti dip).

If you have a bigger bucket, feel free to pour more gallons of dip and more thinner in there at once.

You can buy the earlex 3500 spraystation which is a great gun for spraying plasti dip here: http://amzn.to/VC7bzp
  • Kengel480 and DIPPED SLC like this
I got a dream worth more than my sleep.

#2 keith

keith

Cold Can Dipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Is it always a 50/50 split, or are there situations where a 60/40, etc. is better?

#3 Jesse

Jesse

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Is it always a 50/50 split, or are there situations where a 60/40, etc. is better?

It comes down to personal preference. I usually state 50/50 because the idea of thinning plasti dip usually turns off a lot of people and if you tell them to just thin it at a ratio of 1 gallon of thinner per gallon of dip, it seems a whole lot easier than measuring stuff.

I personally start off with 50/50 but do a 60/40 (less thinner) on my top few coats. No real reason why, It just sprays out more dip and saves some time.

#4 Paulie

Paulie

Cold Can Dipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

hella useful man, thanks!

#5 FallingSunset

FallingSunset

Thinning Dip

• DipMyRide Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

i like 50/50 myself, nice writeup

#6 keith

keith

Cold Can Dipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

I take it you tint your color back to the original after you thin it?  I have yet to thin it myself, so my mind thinks that the xylene would dilute the color of the PD.

#7 Jesse

Jesse

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

It does a bit but I have managed to dip my whole honda accord with 4 self thinned gallons and no tint. Did a honda del sol with about 2.5-3 self thinned gallons. The sprayable dip and tints make a difference, but I'd probably only use those on a larger vehicle where I can't get enough coverage on without tinting it. 

I might try out the tints soon but without the tints I get 4 sprayable self thinned gallons for close to $160-170 including taxes and shipping

#8 Jgieka

Jgieka

Pro Dipologist

• Cuz my post count dont matter
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

I always thin 60/40. better coverage and durability that way IMO.  and I always use xylene.  never have a bad finish.. trust me  ;)

THE REAL QUESTION IS…ARE YOU A TRUE DIPPER?!

#9 Jgieka

Jgieka

Pro Dipologist

• 138 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

Also for you guys who don't know, if you thin yourself you don't NEED tint, but if you want it to compare to Performix's new Rubber dip spray as for coverage, add some tint to it, and then you will not only have almost double the amount of dip you started with, but you will have an equal amount of coverage as the RDS and at a cheaper price. 

#10 Greg

Greg

Spray Gunner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

Hmm.. I was always wondering if this were possible, I've always had it in my head that I'd have to save up for the dipyourcar kit.  I feel like I'd be a little wary of thinning it myself but as long as it's working out fine for people I wouldn't be opposed to it (saving money always rules) 

Back to a normal sig

#11 jleventer

jleventer

Thinning Dip

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSan Fernando Valley, Southern California

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

Whats the cons in doing this? Just to get more out of the paint?

Email- LAplastidip@gmail.com

Instagram- Jleventer

#12 Jesse

Jesse

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

The only con is that you need a bit more dip to get better coverage. Most of the time it ends up still costing less though.

• Jorgeicr8 likes this

#13 Jgieka

Jgieka

Pro Dipologist

• 138 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

If you add tint to it, then there are NO cons.  

#14 Jgieka

Jgieka

Pro Dipologist

• 138 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

Also If you want to you can thin it out the opposite of what i said, about 60/40 thinner to dip.  The only reason you would want to do this, is because it will give you a smoother finish.  the thinner it is the smoother, but you can't make it too thin because then it will just ruin it.  The downfall to this method is you need a lot more coats.  just use all the dip you make if you thin it this way.  

#15 zo10

zo10

Warming Cans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

Hello where can I find TINT to add to the thinned mixture? Also How much of the TINT  do I add to a gallon of self  thinned dip?

#16 Avataj

Avataj

Warming Cans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:31 AM

Thanks for all the info. I'm about to dip my 03 accord (4dr) and rims. Would 50/50 work well if I were to buy two I thinned gallons (yielding 4 spray able mixed gallons)? Also, if I have very minor scratches and/or dings... Should I sand/fill them? Or will the dip cover them up for me? Is tint the same as the powered pigment? If so is there such a thing as adding too much black? Thanks guys, I'm really excited to do this project

#17 Jesse

Jesse

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for all the info. I'm about to dip my 03 accord (4dr) and rims. Would 50/50 work well if I were to buy two I thinned gallons (yielding 4 spray able mixed gallons)? Also, if I have very minor scratches and/or dings... Should I sand/fill them? Or will the dip cover them up for me? Is tint the same as the powered pigment? If so is there such a thing as adding too much black? Thanks guys, I'm really excited to do this project

If the scratches aren't that deep you should be fine. 4 sprayable gallons should be plenty. If you wanted to save some dip, I would suggest getting pigment or tint (they are not the same thing), but if you don't care about saving any of that 4 thinned gallons of dip, I'm sure youll have more than enough to cover the whole car fully.

#18 Avataj

Avataj

Warming Cans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

If the scratches aren't that deep you should be fine. 4 sprayable gallons should be plenty. If you wanted to save some dip, I would suggest getting pigment or tint (they are not the same thing), but if you don't care about saving any of that 4 thinned gallons of dip, I'm sure youll have more than enough to cover the whole car fully.

How would I save dip? I need to put 5-6 coats regardless right? How many coats do you think 4 spray able gallons would get me? I'd love to save some dip for touch up purposes in possible. I read on another thread you're in Rockland. I live in Yonkers, do you dip cars professionally or are you completely a DIY buff? What is the difference between pigment and tint? Sorry for all the Q's... It's kinda my process when I get interested in something. I just sprayed my patio table using the 11oz cans and it came out great!

Thanks for your help

#19 Jesse

Jesse

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

How would I save dip? I need to put 5-6 coats regardless right? How many coats do you think 4 spray able gallons would get me? I'd love to save some dip for touch up purposes in possible. I read on another thread you're in Rockland. I live in Yonkers, do you dip cars professionally or are you completely a DIY buff? What is the difference between pigment and tint? Sorry for all the Q's... It's kinda my process when I get interested in something. I just sprayed my patio table using the 11oz cans and it came out great!

Thanks for your help

Yup, I'm in rockland! I do believe that with one gallon of dip you get 2-3 coats. Yes you do need 5-6 coats but that may be 6-8 when using self thinned. Honestly, if you're using black, saving dip shouldn't be a problem since you can always pick up black from your nearest lowes or home depot, they're almost always stocked in the 14.5oz cans. Me and a buddy do dip cars here and there for some cash on the side but it's not a frequent thing.

#20 Raul_InkFX

Raul_InkFX

Peeling Mistakes

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

This is a great thread. Living in SoCal this is pretty much the only way to dip a whole car without spending an arm and a leg or going to another state to get gallons. I have been self thinning all my PD. It's actually not that hard once you get to doing it.

The best way I have found to do this is calculate how many gallons I will need first. So say you need 4 gallons. Take a bucket that will hold 4 or more gallons and start with a 50/50 ratio of PD to thinner.

Here I have to use the 14.5 oz cans of PD so 4 cans of PD to 4 cans of thinner (just us the 14.5 PD cans to measure your thinner) gets me 1 gallon.

I do this for the first 3 gallons and on the last gallon I will only add 2 cans of thinner to the 4 cans of PD.

This gives me better coverage and is very easy to measure.

Adding tint is always a plus I found that just one tint kit into 4 gallons makes a huge difference. You can go on DYC and make your own tint kit, choose all the colors 1 of each.

Just thought I'd add to the thread. Happy dipping guys!

• Jesse and DIPPED SLC like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users