• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Jesse

Jesse

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:43 AM

Tinting will definitely help you get better coverage. You may be okay with the black but from what I hear the red has poor coverage ant tinting might help out quite a bit. As for the toluene, not sure where to get it. Couldn't find any locally myself

I got a dream worth more than my sleep.

#42 Avataj

Avataj

Warming Cans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

FIRST RDS isn't just $62. Go back and go all the way to check out. Don't forget to add the cost of shipping in there too.

Some may linke my videos, and some may hate them, I don't really care. But let me share some of helpful info I have gathered and TESTED myself along with some FACTS that you should keep in mind when considering RDS. vs Self Thinned.

Yes, RDS does give a brighter or more full color. That is fact. It is because of the added pigments. BUT when you buy RDS all you are paying for is the added pigments. Per Plasti-Dip International the only difference between RDS and Self Thinned is ONLY the pigment. If you buy pre-thinned gallons you get the same amount of ACTUAL PLASTI DIP, in each gallon, as you do in RDS. (More pigment does not mean more plasti dip.)

Now, on to the second thing that, on a long enough time line, EVERYONE will figure this part out. If you spray your car with RDS don't think you can get away with less coats or less gallons. If your project is takes 4 gallons of Self Thinned you will need NO LESS than 4 gallons of RDS. What you have to look at is the ability to remove it. To remove Plasti Dip it HAS to be between 15-20 mils thick. (1 mil = 1/1000 of an inch) If you do 3 coats on something and stop because the color looks great just know that you will be in for a mess when you try to remove it. RDS or Self Thinned you still need 15-20 mils thick EITHER WAY!! 

Now, on to what I KNOW about the pigment itself. I add pigment to plasti dip that I get from Sherwin Williams. Per Plasti-Dip International to make, what is equal to RDS just add 1/3oz of pigment for every 14.5oz can. There are 9 14.5oz cans in a gallon so 9 x .33= 2.97oz (round up to 3 oz.)

• So, 3 oz of pigment of pigment $5, + 9 cans of un-thinned plasti dip $63.00, + 1 gallon  of thinner $20 = $87.00 and it will make 2 gallons of RDS.

Last thing, about the pigment itself. Plasti Dip International told me themselves that if I were going to get my own pigment it needed to be SOLVENT or ENAMEL based pigment. They also said I could get it at Sherwin Williams since they use the SAME pigments Plasti Dip International does. When I went down and picked up my first order of black pigment I found out I needed (882 industrial grade pigments, but me double check that number. Either way, its industrial grade.) I told him what I was doing, and he just laughed and said he would just shoot the 6 oz of pigment into a bucket at no charge. I made him tell me how much it would be, just so I would know since I will in there on a regular basis now. So, for 6oz of industrial grade pigment (which treats 2 unthinned gallons of dip) cost me a grand total of... $5. Not bad. The most important thing is don't go to Wal-Mart, Lowes or Home Depot to get your pigments. They use oil based or water based. THAT WILL NOT TURN OUT WELL.

Like me, hate me, like I said I don't care. I just hope I helped someone.

PM, I don't care what anybody says.. You're the man!

#43 jdinny

jdinny

Peeling Mistakes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCuddebackville, NY

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

FIRST RDS isn't just $62. Go back and go all the way to check out. Don't forget to add the cost of shipping in there too.

Some may linke my videos, and some may hate them, I don't really care. But let me share some of helpful info I have gathered and TESTED myself along with some FACTS that you should keep in mind when considering RDS. vs Self Thinned.

Yes, RDS does give a brighter or more full color. That is fact. It is because of the added pigments. BUT when you buy RDS all you are paying for is the added pigments. Per Plasti-Dip International the only difference between RDS and Self Thinned is ONLY the pigment. If you buy pre-thinned gallons you get the same amount of ACTUAL PLASTI DIP, in each gallon, as you do in RDS. (More pigment does not mean more plasti dip.)

Now, on to the second thing that, on a long enough time line, EVERYONE will figure this part out. If you spray your car with RDS don't think you can get away with less coats or less gallons. If your project is takes 4 gallons of Self Thinned you will need NO LESS than 4 gallons of RDS. What you have to look at is the ability to remove it. To remove Plasti Dip it HAS to be between 15-20 mils thick. (1 mil = 1/1000 of an inch) If you do 3 coats on something and stop because the color looks great just know that you will be in for a mess when you try to remove it. RDS or Self Thinned you still need 15-20 mils thick EITHER WAY!! 

Now, on to what I KNOW about the pigment itself. I add pigment to plasti dip that I get from Sherwin Williams. Per Plasti-Dip International to make, what is equal to RDS just add 1/3oz of pigment for every 14.5oz can. There are 9 14.5oz cans in a gallon so 9 x .33= 2.97oz (round up to 3 oz.)

• So, 3 oz of pigment of pigment $5, + 9 cans of un-thinned plasti dip $63.00, + 1 gallon  of thinner $20 = $87.00 and it will make 2 gallons of RDS.

Last thing, about the pigment itself. Plasti Dip International told me themselves that if I were going to get my own pigment it needed to be SOLVENT or ENAMEL based pigment. They also said I could get it at Sherwin Williams since they use the SAME pigments Plasti Dip International does. When I went down and picked up my first order of black pigment I found out I needed (882 industrial grade pigments, but me double check that number. Either way, its industrial grade.) I told him what I was doing, and he just laughed and said he would just shoot the 6 oz of pigment into a bucket at no charge. I made him tell me how much it would be, just so I would know since I will in there on a regular basis now. So, for 6oz of industrial grade pigment (which treats 2 unthinned gallons of dip) cost me a grand total of... $5. Not bad. The most important thing is don't go to Wal-Mart, Lowes or Home Depot to get your pigments. They use oil based or water based. THAT WILL NOT TURN OUT WELL.

Like me, hate me, like I said I don't care. I just hope I helped someone.

This is a great piece of info Puzzleman. I've watched a ton of your vids. I'm brand new, totally green. Did the hood of my Polaris Ranger with rattle cans and it came out pretty good. Almost got rid of all the tiger stripes, but wound up peeling it to redo.

I picked up a Graco 3900, 9 14.5 oz cans of PD, xylene and naptha. Thinned it 50:50 with a naptha/xylene blend, and from your post, sent wife'y down to Sherwin Williams(she looks a lot better than I do :D), and they squirted 3 oz of pigment in and shook it, no charge!

Now I just need some warmer weather to try this out. I'm gonna dip the Ranger, a few atv's, and then if I feel good about them, I'll dip the ole lady's Impala.

Thank's for all your video's and info.

I've got a case of Corona, and a bottle of Cuervo, and I'm ready to dip :D

Here's the hood I dipped with the rattle can:

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

#44 mikethedipper

mikethedipper

Cold Can Dipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:05 AM

so the spray dip I can buy here http://homeplastidip.../where-to-buy/ will be just as good as the self thinned?

#45 dirnegrey

dirnegrey

Peeling Mistakes

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:09 AM

Hi guys, I have been a long time reader here. I'm interested in self-thinned Plasti Dip, because it save cost. 

but, in my country I can't find VM&P Naphtha, however Toluene and Xylene are available. 

can we get away with using 100% Toluene, or 50 50 mix Toluene and Xylene is better, professional advise needed. 

thanks in advance. 

#46 BORG

BORG

Peeling Mistakes

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:19 AM

From my experience with these solvents I know that Xylene is can dissolve plastics better faster than Toluene. Toluene can dissolve plastics but not as quickly as Xylene and I would assume that Naphtha dissolves plastics at a slower rate than toluene. 

I am personally afraid of what might happen if I were to spray plati dip onto my vehicles clear coat due to the large quantity of these volatile compounds that could very easily destroy my paint job, fog up my head lights, and basically everything else on the car that is made from plastic or rubber. 

If there was some kind of protectant that I could use like a wax then I would not worry as much about these solvents penetrating before they have a chance to vent into the atmosphere. 

Any of the solvents in the paint section can cause harm to the clear coat on your car.

I think the faster the solvents vaporize the less damage they can do. In any case there hasn't been a single report of damage to paint jobs that I have seen. Most people would not notice the damage they have done and would assume that it's just natural decay from sun light, dust, and heat. 

----------------------------

What is the Solvent of choice in California? I have seen toluene, xylene, and pretty much all other solvents get removed from the shelves lately. I must say that it's a lot healthier to go to the hardware store now and the people who work there are better off. 

I have not seen this industrial thinner that people are talking about. 

#47 SaLacoste

SaLacoste

Peeling Mistakes

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

Sprayable has less viscosity and more tinted versus self-thinned. But possible save money when self-thinning plasti dip.

пластидип

#48 ang2tenn

ang2tenn

Peeling Mistakes

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

So I'm a few years late to the game lol.. So buying the pigments from Sherwin Williams? Is that only for basic, black, white, red etc? Or any plasti dip color!! Please excuse my ignorance, I'm new to the gallons!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users