#1 Rob Z

Rob Z

Fully Dipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationKettering OH

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

There has been some discussion and pondering as to the difference between the Sprayable gallons of Dip and thinning the standard dip yourself.

All this seemed to start about the time a vid was posted showing the sprayable Dip put down a thicker coat and covered better than the self-thinned Dip. There was little supporting documentation to confirm this one way or another. Some said the video was flawed as the user did not properly remove all the dip from the original can before thinning. The user indicated there was more pigment in the sprayable which made for the better coverage.

So being the curious person I am I started trying to determine if there is a difference? I contacted Plasti Dip directly and requested all the info they could provide me on the two products. Their reply was limited to sending me the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for both products.

Reviewing these for general material makeup showed that the only difference was the Sprayable contained the thinners. All other listed items had the same percentages when compared and allowed for the addition of thinners. However, the MSDS does not list pigment as it is not a hazardous material.

Next I looked at the weight. The MSDS for the Sprayable averaged slight lower than the non-thinned. This makes sense as the thinner is less heavy then the dip. But this still not provide an answer.

I have seen MANY posts where people are adding additional pigments to their self-thinned dip to enhance the color. The problem is I have not seen a side by side comparison of the Sprayable and self-thinned other then the one video of the person trying to sell you the Sprayable.

Pending me having some extra cash to buy a gallon of each type this question remains unanswered.

HOWEVER: If and I stress IF, the sprayable has a greater concentration of pigments then spraying additional coats of self-thinned would achieve the same color and coverage as the Sprayable.

But, is this feasible?
Well a gallon of Sprayable is $62 so three gallons for a car = $186
A gallon of regular dip = $54 and thinner is $18. So with 2 gallons of each for 4 gallons of sprayable = $144

SO, for less money you get more Sprayable. Even if you need an additional coat or two you are still way ahead.

Another option is to add pigment. This will increase each sprayable gallon about $8, depending on the pigment used. So your total is now $180. This is $8 less than three gallons of Sprayable Dip and you now have four gallons to use.

So the jury is still out but for my money I see no reason to buy the Sprayable Dip when for less money you can achieve the same results and get more Dip.

So now I have a signature :D

#2 Jesse

Jesse

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Great info rob! I agree with you 100% when it comes to cost, but I have had some weird things come up when using the sprayable compared to self thinned.

I have some interesting results having used both. As soon as I get outta class I'll post up my review.

I got a dream worth more than my sleep.

#3 Rob Z

Rob Z

Fully Dipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationKettering OH

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Great info rob!

I have some interesting results having used both. As soon as I get outta class I'll post up my review.

That would be good info, Thanks

#4 Jesse

Jesse

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

K just got home. 

Basically, you can adjust how you thin it for the coverage you want. What I did was thin 1 gallon at a 1:1 ratio and it had poor coverage however it laid down smoother. I did that for the first two coats then I took 4-5 14.5 ounce cans of dip and poured those into the thinned batch. The coverage was waaaaaaaaay better and it did not effect the ability to spray. 

What I did notice that was interesting was that the Sprayable pre-thinned dip came off my windows (didn't mask them) much easier than self thinned did. Now I'm not sure if this was because of the concentration of dip to thinner (probably was) but it was a very interesting phenomenon. It did make cleanup very easy.

On the contrary, when I peeled my hood that was dipped with Sprayable pre-thinned plasti dip, it came off fairly easy without much fighting. When I peeled a hood I had dipped with self thinned dip, I had to fight it more and pull harder for it to come off.

This can be either a good or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. 

#5 Rob Z

Rob Z

Fully Dipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationKettering OH

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

K just got home. 

Basically, you can adjust how you thin it for the coverage you want. What I did was thin 1 gallon at a 1:1 ratio and it had poor coverage however it laid down smoother. I did that for the first two coats then I took 4-5 14.5 ounce cans of dip and poured those into the thinned batch. The coverage was waaaaaaaaay better and it did not effect the ability to spray. 

Was that between 4 & 5 cans at 14.5 each? Think that is what you said. And how many gallons of thinned did you add that to?

As to the ease of pealing. Wonder if this is from the type of thinner? What did you use?

Also, using a thicker ration Dip to thinner adds more then just pigment. This same effect can be acomplished by just adding less thinner orignaly. But not recommended by the manufacture. But neither is Zylene :rolleyes:

#6 Jesse

Jesse

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

Was that between 4 & 5 cans at 14.5 each? Think that is what you said. And how many gallons of thinned did you add that to?

As to the ease of pealing. Wonder if this is from the type of thinner? What did you use?

Also, using a thicker ration Dip to thinner adds more then just pigment. This same effect can be acomplished by just adding less thinner orignaly. But not recommended by the manufacture. But neither is Zylene :rolleyes:

I addid 4-5 of the 14.5 ounce non sprayable cans of dip to 1 gallon of unthinned dip + 1 gallon xylene. I added them AFTER I had my first 2 coats down on the car so it wasn't added to 2 full gallons, 1.5-1.7 gallons. The 2 coats were lightly misted on. 

#7 inhumanblackout

inhumanblackout

Fully Dipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

Some reason I can barley see what rob typed wtc

#8 Rob Z

Rob Z

Fully Dipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationKettering OH

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

Drink more. Then it won't matter :)

#9 inhumanblackout

inhumanblackout

Fully Dipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

Im not drinking yet ur text is almost black to me

#10 Rob Z

Rob Z

Fully Dipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationKettering OH

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

Phone or pc. I am sending from my phone.

#11 inhumanblackout

inhumanblackout

Fully Dipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

Phone on tapAtalk

#12 Jesse

Jesse

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

Im not drinking yet ur text is almost black to me

wtf are you looking at lol, i see it all perfectly

#13 inhumanblackout

inhumanblackout

Fully Dipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

I see it but its almost black its weird cause its doing it with pics to :/

#14 Jesse

Jesse

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

I see it but its almost black its weird cause its doing it with pics to :/

Take a screenshot and post it in the FB chat

#15 IamThePuzzleMan

IamThePuzzleMan

Warming Cans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

FIRST RDS isn't just $62. Go back and go all the way to check out. Don't forget to add the cost of shipping in there too.

Some may linke my videos, and some may hate them, I don't really care. But let me share some of helpful info I have gathered and TESTED myself along with some FACTS that you should keep in mind when considering RDS. vs Self Thinned.

Yes, RDS does give a brighter or more full color. That is fact. It is because of the added pigments. BUT when you buy RDS all you are paying for is the added pigments. Per Plasti-Dip International the only difference between RDS and Self Thinned is ONLY the pigment. If you buy pre-thinned gallons you get the same amount of ACTUAL PLASTI DIP, in each gallon, as you do in RDS. (More pigment does not mean more plasti dip.)

Now, on to the second thing that, on a long enough time line, EVERYONE will figure this part out. If you spray your car with RDS don't think you can get away with less coats or less gallons. If your project is takes 4 gallons of Self Thinned you will need NO LESS than 4 gallons of RDS. What you have to look at is the ability to remove it. To remove Plasti Dip it HAS to be between 15-20 mils thick. (1 mil = 1/1000 of an inch) If you do 3 coats on something and stop because the color looks great just know that you will be in for a mess when you try to remove it. RDS or Self Thinned you still need 15-20 mils thick EITHER WAY!! 

Now, on to what I KNOW about the pigment itself. I add pigment to plasti dip that I get from Sherwin Williams. Per Plasti-Dip International to make, what is equal to RDS just add 1/3oz of pigment for every 14.5oz can. There are 9 14.5oz cans in a gallon so 9 x .33= 2.97oz (round up to 3 oz.)

• So, 3 oz of pigment of pigment $5, + 9 cans of un-thinned plasti dip $63.00, + 1 gallon  of thinner $20 = $87.00 and it will make 2 gallons of RDS.

Last thing, about the pigment itself. Plasti Dip International told me themselves that if I were going to get my own pigment it needed to be SOLVENT or ENAMEL based pigment. They also said I could get it at Sherwin Williams since they use the SAME pigments Plasti Dip International does. When I went down and picked up my first order of black pigment I found out I needed (882 industrial grade pigments, but me double check that number. Either way, its industrial grade.) I told him what I was doing, and he just laughed and said he would just shoot the 6 oz of pigment into a bucket at no charge. I made him tell me how much it would be, just so I would know since I will in there on a regular basis now. So, for 6oz of industrial grade pigment (which treats 2 unthinned gallons of dip) cost me a grand total of... $5. Not bad. The most important thing is don't go to Wal-Mart, Lowes or Home Depot to get your pigments. They use oil based or water based. THAT WILL NOT TURN OUT WELL.

Like me, hate me, like I said I don't care. I just hope I helped someone.

• Rob Z, Krieger Kustom Dip-Wraps, mattechrd and 6 others like this

#16 FallingSunset

FallingSunset

Thinning Dip

• DipMyRide Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Great info from everyone! Puzzle man, I don't think anyone here hates you dude, I'm pretty sure we all found your videos super useful
  • IamThePuzzleMan and Krieger Kustom Dip-Wraps like this

#17 Rob Z

Rob Z

Fully Dipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationKettering OH

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

This is great information. Thank You :)

#18 Jesse

Jesse

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Pinned :) awesome contributions from everyone

#19 IamThePuzzleMan

IamThePuzzleMan

Warming Cans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

Well, HELL. I need to pay more attention. I thought I clicked Reply to one of the posts, and accidently clicked "REPORT"... I gotta quit drinking, /facepalm

• Avataj likes this

#20 Jesse

Jesse

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

LOL I just got the report, and I was like hmm wtf? The slow school internet didn't let me read the contents of the report for like 5 minutes, at which point I realized you probably meant to reply hahaha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users